As settlers on Indigenous land, Therapy and Co. believes that working with indigenous communities is a vital and transformative endeavor that goes beyond the conventional realms of mental health. Indigenous populations often face unique and complex challenges stemming from historical trauma, cultural disconnection, and systemic inequalities. As an organization, our goal is to foster healing, resilience, and empowerment.
Our passion for working with Indigenous people arises from personal experiences as racialized individuals; however, there is a recognition that individual experiences vary and therefore we always use an anti-oppressive approach. Our work involves not only addressing individual mental health concerns but also navigating the intricate intersections of culture, spirituality, and community dynamics. Our hope is to contribute to the preservation and revitalization of indigenous traditions, to support in maintaining a sense of identity and belonging.
Who is Eligible?
• You have to be a resident of Canada who is registered under the “Indian act” with a 10-digit number. Check the list of requirements to see if you qualify.
Are Metis People covered under NIHB?
• Unfortunately, Metis folk are not covered. There are specific services for Metis people.
How many sessions does NIHB cover?
• NIHB covers 22 sessions per calendar year; however, additional sessions can be requested when needed.
Do I need to pay upfront?
• No. Direct billing is available
Can I use my sessions to cover couples therapy?
• NIHB has changed their requirements to only cover half of the session. The other half is covered by the other partner’s benefits or out of pocket if they do not have coverage through NIHB or private insurance.
Does NIHB cover missed sessions?
• Missed sessions are not covered by NIHB; thus, it is important to give sufficient notice to avoid a cancellation fee
Which Provinces are you covered in?
• We have therapists registered in Ontario and Nova Scotia